In October 2011, the Government of Belize received a grant from the CARTFund in the amount of USD 277,906.00 to support the Strengthening and Capacity Building of the Newly-Established BCSP. Government has also committed USD 118,815.00 as counterpart contribution.
Strengthening and Capacity Building of the BCSP Project
The grant fund resources are being used to establish a secretariat for the BCSP including office accommodation, qualified staff, equipment and financial resources to fund the core activities required of all coalitions such as awareness-building, business development, lobbying/advocacy and export promotion. The project’s main activities are in line with BCSP’s immediate priorities which are:
- Establishing a secretariat for the BCSP
- Raising awareness on and changing key stakeholder perception of:
- The potential contribution of the services sector to Belize’s economy
- The need for a more enabling environment
- The availability of trading opportunities
- The role of the BCSP in promoting the development of the services sector
- Developing comprehensive sector profiles, a service sector database, and road maps and action plans for guiding the development of the priority service sub-sectors
- Advancing positions on key policy, institutional and legislative/regulatory issues
Utilizing the various channels available to us, the BCSP will advocate for policy, legislative and regulatory changes that will enhance the capacity of members of service sector to grow, strengthen their businesses, and ultimately export their services.